Share / Save this...

Share/Bookmark

2010-06-22

GWT + Struts 1.x + Netbeans Tutorial (Part 1)




<c:choose>
     <c:when test="${user.likes}"
          Share this with your friends
     </c:when>
     <c:otherwise>  
          Send me feedback.
     </c:otherwise>
<:choose>
oDesk Certified Java Developer

Part 1: Add the Google App Engine server to Netbeans

TL;DR: Copy this http://kenai.com/projects/nbappengine/downloads/download/Latest_NetBeans68/updates.xml and watch video below. 

When I added the Google App Engine Development Server to my Netbeans IDE I had a little trouble and I'm not sure what was causing the problem, perhaps the JSF2.0 (Mojarra i think) didn't like the new server. 

I absolutely dislike Eclipse IDE, but that's just my personal opinion. After playing with Netbeans 6.9 beta and Netbeans 6.9, I decided to switch back to Netbeans 6.8 because I wanted to test a few ideas to see if they worked on GAE (Google App Engine). I wanted to use JSF2.0 and GWT to compare the AJAX functionalities that both frameworks have.

I got disappointed of all te configurations you have to make to get JSF2.0 working on Google App Engine, so i changed to a well-tested and simple (from a newbie perspective) MVC framework: Struts 1. 

If you want to comment on the advantages and disadvantages you see between your choice or flavor of MVC and those of Struts then use the comments section below. 

I re-installed Netbeans 6.8 which I have been using at work since it came out in December and I'm quite pleased. I would recommend you stay away from Netbeans 6.9 at least until September, to give it time to settle, because i think the new features still need a little more testing, but i could be wrong. 

After installing Netbeans 6.8 we need to add the Google App Engine Server. Download the App Engine SDK here and store it in an easy-to-find location. You will need to tell the plug-in where to find the library for the App Engine SDK. We will install the App Engine update center from the "Plugins" option in the "Tools" menu.

After selecting "Plugins", click on "Settings" and then look for a button that reads "Add" on the lower right-hand corner of the plug-ins dialog. When you click the "Add" button you're presented with a dialog to add a new update center in which you're going to enter the following:

Name: App Engine

URL: http://kenai.com/projects/nbappengine/downloads/download/Latest_NetBeans68/updates.xml


After you have added the update center, then go to the "Available plug-ins" tab and on the Search box type "App Engine" you will see several plug-ins, check all their check-boxes and click "Install". Now you can use Google App Engine as a container for any of your web applications.


If you have any suggestions, ideas for full blown system integration (sb) or comments, leave a message below.

I would appreciate if you could Share this with your friends



No comments:

Post a Comment

Hits